Thursday, February 19, 2015

Ukiyo-e

Oiran by Tominobu Kasentei
This ukiyo-e depicts a high class courtesan. I chose this ukiyo-e because I liked the layers of kimono. The many layers of kimono, an obi tied in front, and the many hair ornaments are all signifiers of a courtesan. It is interesting that compared to western depictions of courtesans and prostitutes, this oiran is wearing a considerable amount of clothing. I also have previously done research on erotic ukiyo-e and one of the most interesting details that I noticed/read about was that even ukiyo-e that featured more erotic situations still many times featured figures dressed in many layers of clothing and many folds in the fabric. This was because kimono are expensive, and even the opulence was somewhat seen as  seductive. She also appears to be very poised, and proper, compared to Western representations of women associated with entertainment and pleasure quarters. Oiran were not only selected for their beauty, but also because they were still entertainers: many knew calligraphy, flower arranging, how to perform tea ceremonies, how to play instruments, and were well read.

Profile (Red Girl) by Saitou Kiyoshi

 I chose this ukiyo-e after I chose the one of the oiran because this ukiyo-e also reminds me of a more modern version of representations of women in red light districts. Besides being bathed in red light, associated with pleasure quarters, the woman is also portrayed in a very sultry way. The darker red areas of the face emphasize her full lips, thick eyelashes, and finely shaped eyebrows. These are all traits that westerners usually associate with women who work in the pleasure industry.
However, this ukiyo-e also has a very natural feel to it. The lighter red lines in the background look somewhat like reeds, and the shading in her hair and on her face and neck looks like a texture created by a natural sponge. In spite of her sultry look, "natural" quality seems to give the subject an organic or even "pure" image.

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed your commentary about the woman in red. I was really drawn to the image because of the color, and I kept wondering to myself why those colors were used but I couldn't think of anything. Your analysis makes a lot of sense to me and gives a lot more meaning to the print, especially the irony of juxtaposing the red light district with purity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the ukiyo-e print you chose! There's so much detail and intricate patterns. It's impressive considering how much work goes into print-making. I like the comparison you make between portrayals of Western and Japanese women in this type of service.
    I also think it's interesting that you chose two images of women. They're very different in terms of styling and coloring, but both portray the women as beautiful, elegant and sophisticated.

    ReplyDelete